To begin with, I started making Christmas cards. I've always loved papers and cut-outs and crafts and scrapbooking, but I don't really have the time for all these. Since my teachers did not meet these past few days, I finally got the chance to grab the funstruction paper I bought from the local book store and continue my card-making project. Also, I was inspired by the very cute vinta cut-outs on cards I saw in the recent art auction I attended. Sometimes, a small kick of inspiration helps, too. :)
This year, the main theme of my cut-outs is Triangles and Quadrangles (but I also used some round figures for my cards). My primary image is, yes, you guessed it right -- a Christmas tree!
![]() |
| (Yes, I was re-watching the Mentalist season 6, episode 3.) |
For this set of cards, I just bought a pack of construction paper and some parchment paper. You will, of course, need a "reliable" bottle of glue (spot the glue on the photo above) and a good pair of scissors. Just be careful not to put too much glue or else it creates creases on the parchment paper.To set the mood, I listened to this playlist: http://8tracks.com/cassidylillian/the-ultimate-classic-christmas-mix
It's a collection of old Christmas songs that will make you remember the festive feel and busy preparations for Christmas eve.
(I'm also on 8tracks! Check out my mixes: http://8tracks.com/ambrosiabonifacio)
OK, back to the cards. I made two sets of cards: big ones and small ones. You may customize the sizes of the cards you want, or check out the available envelopes in your local bookstore and suit the sizes of the cards to the envelopes (or you can just make your own envelopes). You may also decide on how the cards fold, but for my creations, I just did the conventional fold-it-once. Have a look at some of the designs I made!
![]() |
| Like snow flakes on pine trees? Or twinkling lights around Christmas trees in malls? |
If you think that the tedious part is cutting small pieces of paper and scraps to decorate the trees, think again. Really, it's the gluing of those tiny cut-outs on the trees! I had to try not to be (too) messy.
I also thought of common Christmas items for my designs like gifts, candy canes, Christmas balls, and wreath.
I designed a card according to what's available and what I could make of it. For instance, the greenery on the photo above were scraps from the leaves I was trying to make for another card. I just embellished them with some more scraps (which I cut into small squares) and voila! Christmas wall decors!
![]() |
| Candy canes! Yum! |
![]() |
| Don't we just love those nicely wrapped gifts? |
![]() |
| I imagined Christmas trees being hung. |
![]() |
| I liked this design so much that I replicated it on a smaller card. Stars are missing though. |
You can also do something "abstract" like this one. I just added a gift on the side to avoid making the "Christmas trees" look like arrows pointing up. Notice another scrap I used to add a festive look. But I'm still contemplating on adding more embellishments to make it Christmas-y.
And oh, the traditional "gifts under the tree"! And the Christmas wreath that's as big as a Christmas tree?
Same concept, different styles.
Yes, there were Christmas balls, too. For the cut-outs, I did not use a guide for tracing. The irregularity of the shapes adds uniqueness to the designs, so you don't really have to worry about not cutting out accurate circles.
![]() |
| What do you think about this design? Not too girly, eh? |
And this card is very simple, but I just like it. A little Christmas card:
![]() |
| Photo from http://knockoffdecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Snowflake-Light-Card-Holder.png |
Or this:
Your cards can actually be anything for anyone for whatever like this:
All you need are materials, a pinch of creativity, patience, and inspiration that comes from the heart. :)




















Okay, I didn't know that you have a blog. Nice... You must prepare one for me.
ReplyDelete-Manong
Thank you, Manong The Faceless Mobile Suit! Noted! :)
Deletebeautiful cards ms. lei... :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ambrosia and Procopio! :)
Delete